Travel Booking Terms & Conditions of Application and Participation
Scholarly Sojourns organizes unique educational tours and vacations (hereinafter called a “sojourn”) to a variety of destinations around the world each year. Led by respected scholars, noted experts, and gifted teachers, these engaging programs are open to anyone who wishes to join us in the spirit of intellectual engagement, fellowship, and discourse. Before registering for any sojourn, we ask that you read the following material carefully as it constitutes a part of your contract for booking travel with us.
1) Registration and booking of a sojourn: Space is reserved in the order of receipt for phone, mail, or web registrations. To submit a registration, you may use our secure online process by clicking on the “Register Now” button offered at the bottom of each sojourn page; or you may print, complete, and mail a copy of the registration form; or you may call us Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (EST) at 1-800-419-3443. Submitting an online request does not automatically guarantee space on a sojourn. You will be notified of your registration status once your request has been received and processed (usually within one business day). Once your registration is confirmed, your space(s) will be held for up to ten business days until your deposit is received. If your deposit is not received within ten business days of your registration, your space(s) may be released to others.
Wait list: If a sojourn of your choice is fully booked, you may request to be placed on a wait list by following the “Wait List” link from the “Find A Sojourn” page. If space becomes available, we release it on a first-come, first-served basis. Should space become available for you, we will notify you immediately and you must register for the sojourn within 24 hours to secure your place. Once you register, the booking and payment procedures will be the same as described elsewhere herein. You are welcome to call us anytime at 1-800-449-3443 to inquire about your wait list status.
2) The price of the sojourn: The price of the sojourn in United States Dollars is noted on each sojourn page under the section titled “At a Glance”. More detailed pricing and booking information is located on the “Sojourn Price” page for each sojourn. There are two prices listed for each sojourn: “Double Occupancy” (DO) is the price per person for two individuals traveling together and sharing hotel accommodation; “Single Occupancy” (SO) is the price per person for those traveling individually or for those wishing to stay in single hotel accommodation. All sojourn prices are based upon current currency exchange rates, tariffs, fares, and a minimum number of participants. While we do everything possible to maintain the listed prices, they are subject to change without notice.
Roommate requests: Those traveling alone may request to be paired with another single traveler as roommates and thus avoid paying the “single occupancy” (SO) rate. Scholarly Sojourns will do everything possible to honor such requests, but we cannot guarantee that a roommate will be identified. All single travelers must register as such and be prepared to pay the single occupancy (SO) price should a roommate not be found.
Children and adolescents: In general our sojourns are designed for adults. Many programs, however, may be appropriate for high-school-aged adolescents. On the “Notes & FAQ” page for each sojourn, there is specific information regarding the program’s suitability for those under 18. Regardless of age, the sojourn price remains the same and a parent or guardian must accompany anyone under 18 years of age. Scholarly Sojourns also offers custom-designed sojourns just for families. These programs can be tailored to a much broader range of ages. Please see our “Custom Sojourns” area for more information on these programs.
Currency fluctuations and possible surcharges: Prices for sojourns in destinations outside the United States are based upon current exchange rates to the US Dollar. Should there be a significant fluctuation in the exchange rate between the time travel is booked and the actual dates of travel, Scholarly Sojourns reserves the right to levy a surcharge on participants to remedy the difference. Due to fluctuations in oil prices, in rare instances, certain suppliers occasionally add a fuel surcharge for their services. Should such surcharges be levied on any services for a sojourn on which you are registered, those costs may be passed on to you. In such cases, a written explanation of the surcharge, including the name of the supplier levying it, will be provided.
3) Payment schedule: A deposit in the amount of $500 per person, per sojourn is due within ten (10) days of a confirmed registration. The deposit may be paid by check or credit card (Visa or MasterCard) and should be sent along with signed copies of the booking documents you receive following your internet or telephone registration. The deposit will be applied to the payment of the sojourn price. The balance of the sojourn price is due no later than 90 days prior to the start of the sojourn. If payment is not received 90 days prior to the start of the sojourn, your space on the sojourn and your deposit may be forfeited. We also reserve the right to apply a late payment fee equal to 5% of the outstanding balance for all payments that have not been received by 60 days prior to departure. If you decide to purchase the optional air package or any other options, these amounts will be included on your invoice and are subject to the same payment terms.
Late registrations: Registrations received within 90 days of a sojourn start date are considered late registrations and are subject to a special payment schedule. In such cases, payment in full must be made within ten days of registration or your reservation will be canceled. Once a late registration is confirmed, the same cancellation policy outlined below applies. Late registration procedures also apply to any participant who is transferred from the waiting list for a particular sojourn within the late registration period for that program.
4) Cancellations and refund policy: The following schedule of cancellation fees is per person, per sojourn and based upon the date of notice to Scholarly Sojourns. Please understand that there will be no exceptions to our cancellation policy.
5) What is included in the price of a sojourn:
6) What is not included in the price of a sojourn:
7) Itinerary or program modifications: Scholarly Sojourns is constantly striving to improve sojourn itineraries and features. If improvements can be made or if unforeseen circumstances or circumstances beyond our control make changes necessary, we reserve the right to vary the itineraries, the programs, and to substitute hotels. Every effort will be made to carry out the program as planned but alterations may still occur even after the final itineraries are provided. Please note that weather conditions can also force changes to the advertised activities on certain sojourns.
Accommodations: Scholarly Sojourns maintains relationships with a number of select hotels in each of our destinations. These properties are chosen based upon a variety of criteria including their superior service, unique atmosphere, amenities, and desirable location. Occasionally the advertised hotel is not able to accommodate our group and therefore one of our alternate choices is used. Certain sojourns that visit small towns or remote, out-of-the-way places have limited accommodation choices. In such cases, notes describing any limitations in the accommodation can be found on the “Notes & FAQ” page for that sojourn.
Sojourn Leaders: Sojourn leaders are contracted to lead sojourns far in advance. If unforeseen circumstance or circumstances beyond our control prevent the advertised sojourn leader from traveling with the program, we reserve the right to replace the advertised sojourn leader with a suitable alternate.
8) Air Service: Scholarly Sojourns recognizes that many of our guests prefer making their own travel arrangements to and from the sojourn location. Therefore, all sojourns are priced without airfare to and from this destination included.
Optional air package: We do, however, offer an optional air package departing from and returning to New York City for each sojourn. This designated group flight is planned with optimal arrival and departure times and includes round-trip airport transfers at the destination. It also provides you with 100% cancellation assurance in the unlikely case that the sojourn would have to be canceled or the dates changed. Your first pre-sojourn packet will thoroughly explain the details and the options available for making your flight arrangements.
Individual arrivals and air travel purchased independently: We urge you to check airline cancellation penalties before purchasing airline tickets since international departure times and flights can change. Sojourns may also be canceled due to low enrollments. Scholarly Sojourns accepts no liability for cancellation penalties related to domestic or international airline tickets purchased independently for travel to and from a sojourn.
9) Special travel arrangements: Scholarly Sojourns is happy to assist participants who may wish to extend their stay in the group hotel either before or after a sojourn. We are often able to secure more attractive rates than those offered to the general public. Of course, any such arrangements are dependent upon space availability at the time of booking.
10) Travel Insurance: In case unforeseen circumstances should arise that would cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip, we urge you to protect your investment by purchasing a travel insurance policy for your sojourn. Such plans provide help in many unexpected circumstances, such as loss, delay, or damage to baggage. We also encourage you to consider obtaining any additional medical insurance you may need for overseas travel as most medical policies, including Medicare, do not provide full coverage for medical expenses incurred outside of the United States.
11) Physical and medical considerations: Please note that most sojourns require participants to be in good physical condition: in most cases you must be capable, without assistance, of walking a minimum of one mile over uneven terrain and of climbing stairs that may not have handrails. Participants should have sufficient stamina to keep up with an active group of travelers on long days of touring. More specific information regarding physical requirements and medical considerations is listed on the “Notes & FAQ’s” page for each sojourn. If you have any questions about your ability to participate, please call us at 1-800-419-3443.
12) Photography: Participants on sojourns may be photographed for promotional purposes and photographs may be printed in publications and posted on websites to promote Scholarly Sojourns. Travelers who prefer that their image not be used must advise the sojourn manager at the beginning of the sojourn.
13) Smoking policy: For the comfort of all participants we ask that there be no smoking during any indoor group activities or during any group meals regardless of the local smoking policy.
14) Preparing for your sojourn: Prior to departure, you will receive information packets containing both sojourn-specific and general information to help you prepare for your journey.
Pre-Sojourn Packet 1 includes such information as:
Pre-Sojourn Packet 2 includes such information as:
RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENT AND LIABILITY DISCLAIMER AGREEMENT
Scholarly Sojourns shall be held liable for personal injury, death, property damage or accident, delay or irregularity arising out of any act or omission on the part of our suppliers. Scholarly Sojourns and its suppliers reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary of a sojourn whenever circumstances beyond their control make such changes necessary, or when, in their judgment, conditions warrant, or if they deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of sojourn participants. Scholarly Sojourns and its suppliers also reserve the right, without penalty, to withdraw a sojourn, to decline to accept any person as a participant on a sojourn, or to require any participant to withdraw from a sojourn at any time, when such action is determined by tour staff to be in the best interests of the health, safety, or general welfare of the group or the individual participant, subject only to the requirement that the recoverable portion of the total amount paid that corresponds to the cost of unused services and accommodations be refunded, if any. Participants are encouraged to purchase airline tickets no sooner than 60 days before a sojourn start date in order to avoid airline change or cancellation penalties should a sojourn be canceled or otherwise modified. Scholarly Sojourns accepts no liability for the purchase of non-refundable airline tickets to or from a sojourn location. Baggage and personal effects are at all times the sole responsibility of the participant. Dates, schedules, program details, and costs, although provided in good faith are subject to change and revision.
AS A CONDITION OF ACCEPTANCE OF ANY APPLICATION, EACH APPLICANT MUST AGREE TO THE STATEMENT BELOW:
By registering with Scholarly Sojourns’ for this sojourn, the registrant acknowledges that he/she has carefully reviewed and understands the schedule of activities for the sojourn, as well as the Terms and Conditions of Application and Participation and the Responsibility Statement and Liability Disclaimer set forth above. The registrant also acknowledges, recognizes, and accepts any risk associated with the sojourn and the conditions, including the refund policy. The registrant further acknowledges the many risks and uncertainties inherent in any travel program, including but not limited to the hazards of various modes of transportation, forces of nature, acts or omissions of foreign governments, terrorism, war or insurrection, theft, illness, and damage to person or property due to the negligent acts or omissions of tour staff or others. In consideration of, and as part payment for, the right to participate in the sojourn, the undersigned, on behalf of himself, his dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, agrees to release Scholarly Sojourns, its Regents, officers, employees, representatives or agents from liability for personal injury, death, property damage or loss suffered by any person in connection with this sojourn, even if caused by the negligence (but not the reckless, willful, or fraudulent conduct) of program staff or other related persons or entities. In addition, by registering for this sojourn, the applicant certifies that he or she is mentally and physically capable of full participation in this tour. By registering with Scholarly Sojourns for this sojourn, the participant agrees to the Responsibility Statement and Liability Disclaimer and the Terms and Conditions herein.